Saturday 7 September 2013

Rwandan fabric

Last year when I was in Rwanda, I bought a lot of fabric... like A LOT!  It was really stressful buying it from the market, mostly because there was so much choice and because I'm terrible at haggling a good price!  I love the vibrant colours and prints.  Some of the fabrics I saw in the market were crazy - massive repeat patterns of handbags or cakes, swirls of colours, all jammed into a small stand.  I've loved being able to use the fabric I bought for various projects.  I've made quite a few things, but still have so much fabric left... anyone got any requests?!  Click here to read more about my adventures in Rwanda.
 
A cover for my Bible and a case for my phone charger
 
An apron.  I also made an apron and tea-towel for one of my nieces to
go with her toy kitchen - very cute.

A wee flowery brooch
 
Bunting card... I'd love to make some full size bunting - I think it would look amazing!

Jewellery bags - perfect for travelling with

A table cover

I love my Rwandan giraffes and other bits & pieces

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
Lovely things! I can see why you were tempted to bring back so much material from Rwanda.
This is the first time I've seen your work, tho seems to go way back. Thanks - it's very impressive!
Linda

Katie Smith said...

Thanks Linda! I started this blog when I was in my final year at Art school in 2010, but stopped doing it for quite a while. It's been good to restart it though. Hope you're doing well. Katie

Anonymous said...

the idea of making your own bunting sounds good katie, and the other different items you have made are all professional looking, well done